Memorial from Campion Road.

Leprosarium Memorial

ID: 579753b71c150d6e1b8dfd54

East Arm, Northern Territory

名勝 Icon名勝
Campion Road,
East Arm,
Northern Territory
0822.

This is a steel and concrete interpretive memorial to the Leprosarium that was constructed near the site. Directional signage appears on Berrimah Road and at Channel Point. The Leprosarium on Channel Island began life as a Quarantine Station, initially declared by the Government Secretary in 1884. All incoming shipping had to report to the Quarantine Station for screening before they were cleared to anchor in Port Darwin. Patients suffering from small-pox and leprosy were quarantined at Channel Island - initially without any shelter or amenities. Over time, buildings were constructed, another Quarantine Station was established at East Arm and Channel Island became an isolation site for those suffering from Leprosy....

Product Types

  • 歷史遺跡和遺址

Facilities found here

  • Carpark
  • Picnic Area

Special Needs and Access

  • Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids)
  • Caters for people who use a wheelchair.
  • Caters for people who are deaf or have hearing loss.
  • Caters for people who are blind or have vision loss.

Activities you can engage in

  • Scenic Drives
  • Walks

Back To Search



Detail of pathway around the memorial
Sign indicating entrance to former Leprosarium along Berrimah Road.
Modern detailed information